I have been waiting for some time now for the manufacturer of my RAID card to reply to my request for help. I got an initial response, to which I replied, but have gotten nothing since. I’m begining to think that I may have to just buy a different vendor’s card. I’m thinking of the Promise SuperTrak EX8350. I know Mike likes his and it has certified drivers for Windows, unlike my current card.
So: my dilema is how long I should wait until I give up on tech support while my server continues to crash. At least the server crashes won’t affect the web sites anymore.